- Setting up a small lab with Rackspace Public Cloud VMs.
- Deploying a Standard Edition install of Skype for Business
- Server OS is Windows Server 2012 R2
- Server has been added to AD Domain
- All Windows & Security updates have been installed
- All Prerequisite Roles & Features have been installed
- Administrative Tools were installed
- AD was prepared by extending Schema, preparing Forest, and preparing Domain
- Prepare First Standard Edition Server step was successfully run
- On the Install or Update Skype for Business Server System step, Step 1 completed successfully
Then, the problem: Step 2 failed with the error stating that not all prerequisites had been met, and it cites the KB article 2982006. This update was not picked up my the local OS when checking for updates, apparently, but is required by Skype for Business Server for install.
Now, to obtain the update, you can start the download process by clicking on the "Hotfix Download Available" button here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2982006. Once you do this, though, it is not a direct download. You are prompted to first select the proper download, which should be the x64 version of the download, and then you must enter your email address. Within a few minutes, you should receive an email from Microsoft with a link for a direct download of the hotfix. This email also includes a whole lot of warnings about backing up your environment and disclaimer-like information. In my case, this is for a basic lab, so I pretty much ignored all the fine print, and just installed the hotfix. It DID NOT require a reboot.
Once you have installed the hotfix, you should be able to re-run Step 2 successfully, and on you go to Skype for Business Server 2015 testing and fun! For any of you getting briefly stuck on this, or just planning for your environment in advance, please simply take note that KB2982006 is a prerequisite that does not get downloaded in the normal updates.
Thanks for reading!
Stay techy, my friends!